1.) To monitor the health and well being of the students and staff;
2.) To provide medical consultation or referrals as necessary;
3.) To provide emergency medical attention to students and staff;
4.) To administer appropriate medication and treatment;
5.) To asses the health care needs of students including to enforcement of:
- Screening of Scoliosis
- Screening for vision and hearing impairment
- Screening of students in need of dental attention.
6.) To provide counseling for chronic illness, mental health, nutritional issues, disease prevention, and healthy lifestyles; and
7.) To identify and eliminate hazards to the health and safety of students and faculty in coordination with other school department.
|Mission and Vision
In line with the mission of Olivarez College to educate the mind, body and soul, the mission of the school clinic is to assure that the health of the students is at optimum condition for learning. The school clinic also provides health services to the institution’s faculty and administrative staff so that effective service would be delivered to the student body.
The Olivarez College School Clinic aims to provide prompt, efficient and quality health care services to students, school personnel and its adopted community. It strives in providing holistic medical and dental care that will facilitate mental, physical and emotional development of every students and employees. The school clinic also endeavors in participating actively in activities and programs which will promote and improve the health of the community.
- The clinic conducts physical examination of students in all levels.
- The clinic conducts physical examination for college students especially Nursing and Midwifery, and they would be required to submit the following laboratory results:
- Chest X-ray (PA)
- Complete Blood Count
- Hepatitis Screening
These adjunct laboratory results are mandatory to make sure the students are physically fit to endure the rigorous hospital training. Chest x-ray is also essential to screen students with pulmonary infection so as to protect the welfare of the hospital clients.
The abovementioned laboratory tests are done at the Olivarez General Hospital (OGH) where students are granted discounts.
School personnel are more likely to be on the job and performing well when they are in optimal physical and psychological health. Accordingly, the school clinic also conducts annual physical examination of the school personnel to screen their medical condition especially infectious cases.
The school physician provides free consultation on uncomplicated medical cases. The physician also gives available medication for symptomatic relief of student/personnel illness. Complicated cases are referred to Olivarez General Hospital (OGH) for thorough evaluation and management.
As a part of the physical examination of students and the annual physical examination of school personnel, the school dentist conducts an oral examination. This is done to screen dental problems.
The school dentist provides free dental consultation to students and school personnel. The school dentist also dispenses available medication to students/personnel for symptomatic relief of dental problems. However, complicated dental cases to which the school clinic is not equipped for are referred to the Olivarez General Hospital or to a dental specialist.
Other Dental Services
The school clinic is also equipped for other dental procedures such as:
- Oral prophylaxis (for adults / adolescents) and General prophylaxis with Fluoride Treatment (for children).
- Oral restoration (Tooth Filling, i.e. temporary and / or permanent)
- Tooth extraction
- Treatment of periodontal diseases like gingivitis, etc.
- Orthodontic cases (i.e. preventive and interceptive for children and adults).
- Treatment of handicapped patients with oral prophylaxis.
- All dentures (i.e. full/partial, jacket crowns, etc)
These services are offered on a very affordable and discounted price.
In case of illness or emergencies, the physician/nurse conducts an initial assessment to evaluate the severity of the condition whether it can manage in the school clinic or referred to Olivarez General Hospital.
Once assessed as a major emergency, appropriate and necessary first aid would be given. The patient would be immediately transported to Olivarez General Hospital, and parents and / or guardian are notified regarding the status of the patient.
The following conditions/illness are classified as Major Emergncies
- Lacerated wounds
- Difficulty of breathing
- Severe stomachache
- Eye injuries
Minor Illness and Injuries
Based on the assessment of the school physician or nurse, minor illness or injuries may be handled in the school clinic and would be treated appropriately.
The following conditions are classified as Minor Illness and Injuries:
- Small cuts, scratches, scrapes, pencil wounds
- Bumps, bruises, minor sprains
- Stomachaches (due to LBM, hyperacidity, dyspepsia)
- Nausea and Vomiting
If the first aid provided would prove to be ineffective, the patient would be referred to Olivarez General Hospital for further evaluation and management, provided that the patient is 18 years old and above, otherwise, parent/guardian’s presence consent is required.
Students who are too ill may be advised to go home. The clinic would inform the Principal of the Basic Education Department, Office of Student Affairs, or the Guidance Office of the clinic’s recommendation. The student would also be issued with a medical certificate with the appropriate recommendation as a proof.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts physical examination of students and personnel of Olivarez College;
- Screens, evaluates, and refers findings of deficit in vision, hearing, scoliosis, and growth among others;
- Provides consultations and prescribe appropriate medications to students (18 years old and above) and personnel. Students who are 17 years and below needs to be accompanied by a parent or guardian for proper evaluation and prescription of medications;
- Refers students and school personnel to Olivarez General Hospital for further evaluation and management (18 years old and above), however, students who are 17years old and below to be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Reports to heads and administrators and other departments regarding school health matters;
- Participates with other school department in developing and implementing the total school health program;
- Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases through monitoring of immunization status, prevention, early detection, surveillance, reporting and referral for care of contagious diseases;
- Submits reports to the Vice President for Academics and Services regarding the operation, plans and needs of the school clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts oral examination of students and personnel of Olivarez College;
- Performs oral prophylaxis and tooth extraction as needed to students and personnel ( 18 years old and above). Students who are 17 years old and below needs the presence and consent of parent/guardian.;
- Provides emergency dental treatment to students and personnel;
- Refers students and personnel to dental specialist for complicated cases;
- Promotes oral health and hygiene of students and personnel through dental education;
- Collaborates with other clinic personnel in developing and implementing the total school health program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the physician in the conduct of physical examination of students and personnel of Olivarez College;
- Provides emergency nursing care to students and personnel in cases of injuries or illness;
- Maintains medical and dental records, and do necessary updates on the students and personnel health files;
- Administers medications to students and personnel as prescribed by the physician;
- Refers cases to which the school clinic is not equipped for, to Olivarez General Hospital (OGH) for further evaluation and management;
- Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases through monitoring of immunization status, prevention, early detection, surveillance, reporting and referral for care of contagious diseases.
- Submit reports to the Vice President for Academics and Services, regarding the operations, plans and needs of the school clinic.
- Coordinates with the other clinic personnel in developing and implementing the total school health program.